2019-09-02 / HFE Team
Leveraging IoT for a Brighter Future
On one hand, the costs of wind and solar energy in India are lower than ever while on the other, battery storage still awaits a major breakthrough. The slow progress is bound to result in some major development but until then, an argument can be raised that the renewable energy sector is just adding on to its past progress. Any such claims, however, fall flat once we bring in a third aspect apart from energy generation and storage – the aspect of efficiency.
At Hero Future Energies, we consider technology a highly valued asset and understand its potential to revolutionize the sector. As such, we utilize it to the fullest to ensure our projects live up to our brand name. We realize that by improving connectivity between our sites, we can monitor, analyse, and even maintain them with minimal efforts, and Internet of Things (IoT) allows us to achieve just that.
The usage of IoT comes handy for both pre and post-operation tasks. Activities like land acquisitions or project surveys for solar parks for cabling, piling structures, foundations for inverter transformer control /inverter control room, module mounting structure installations, module installations, towers for power transmission etc. which are taken up before operations are also made easier with IoT.
Our inhouse state-of-the-art project monitoring system aces our performance management capabilities for our projects producing wind and solar energy in India and abroad. It helps us make our project sites more efficient by:
- The process includes the use of a Flying Project Manager, that is, drone for capturing images of an ongoing project. These images are then processed using Artificial Intelligence (AI) tools and further compiled with project AutoCAD drawings
- With features such as identifying faults in Operation and Maintenance (O&M) of sites, capturing thermographic images to identify module faults (such as Hotspot, Diode failure, etc), it plays a big role in optimizing the organization’s revenue by identifying site issues with little time and effort
- It helps eliminate the old-fashioned and cumbersome process of manually maintaining and updating site records
- It also enhances decision-making and reduces travel time for site visits
- By identifying any possible site issues beforehand, it helps in mitigating risks
- Apart from reducing the task of manual recordkeeping, it also eases the task of getting project updates since all the information is just a click away
And as our dependence on renewable energy increases, ensuring its efficiency is becoming more important than ever. Going forward, IoT can help the renewable energy industry reach new heights by adding this efficiency. While we await development in the other areas of the sector, building upon what we already have will be key to accomplishing our goals.
Integrating IoT into the sector will be key to making solar energy in India just as reliable as thermal power, if not more. As a renewable energy firm eager to push the envelope, we intend to be pioneers in the use of technology to improve our power production as well. Because at HFE, we believe every bit of renewable power generated is important in our journey towards a brighter future.